The design engineer will drive product development, overseeing all aspects with end-to-end ownership throughout the design life cycle from concept to production release including architecture, design, implementation, testing, certification, and manufacturing.
You will be responsible for defining, designing new connectivity solutions and providing a structured end-to-end design engineering approach from concept to production in alignment with the Product Development Process deliverables.
- Support the business from Engineering and Manufacturing perspectives in all aspects of electrical connectors, cable assembly design and fabrication processes.
- Lead product development activities, translating product requirements into technical specifications, driving concept development and idea generation to the design of components and assemblies using
3D CAD tools.
- Lead DFMEA risk assessment activities and related technical requirements for product qualification, including risk identification and ranking, development of risk mitigation action plans, and action plan implementation until closure.
- Facilitate Design review of project/product, design verification, design validation, product qualification plan, and key milestones of new development until production ramp-up.
- Develop knowledge around technology, i.e. state-of-the-art connectivity solutions and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Work effectively within multi-functional, multi-location project teams.
- Ensure product quality through the use of relevant international standards, engineering tools, and internal Fischer norms.
- Bring competences needed in the team for innovation and continuous improvement by providing technical advice, recommendations, and methodology for problem-solving (i.e. know-how/tools/methods).
- Interact and present product application and design to customers.
- Evaluate potential vendors for their capabilities and knowledge.
- Research and apply standards and procedures relevant to the connector and cable assembly industry.
- Create educational material for internal and external training.
- Investigate and analyze failures of connectors and cable assemblies.
- Create prototype cable assemblies to verify manufacturability.
- Create manufacturable designs that meet the customer’s requirements.
- Research, select and / or specify non-Fischer items to meet customer requirements.
- Support process improvement and troubleshooting efforts by the Manufacturing team.
- Provide technical support for all of Fischer Connectors (global catalog) product offerings including custom connectors, FiberOptic, pre-made assemblies, etc.
- Organize, track and drive completion dates for multiple cable assembly projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Mechanical or Electrical preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in connector / cable assembly design and manufacturing preferred or similar related areas.
- SolidWorks or equivalent CAD modeling.
- Excel / Windows office.
- SAP or similar MRP system familiarity.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Familiar with standard engineering designs, practices, procedures, and drafting concepts.
- Electro-mechanical manufacturing experience preferred.
- Efficient time management.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of plastics, elastomers, and adhesives as they apply to connectors, and cable assembly manufacturing including thermoplastic and silicone injection molding / overmolding is preferred.
- Ability to use electrical test equipment.
- Good communication skills and team player, focused on achieving best team outcomes through collaboration.
- Ability to work cross functionally to ensure proposed solutions can be supported by other departments.
- Demonstrate strong interest to new product development.
- Demonstrate strong sense of accountability throughout development phase, initial manufacturing phase, until product release and handover to production.